A Strong History
Utah State Board of Education Appointment
In August 2019 I was appointed to the State Board of Education by Governor Herbert. I was thrilled and humbled by the appointment and responsibilities.
The path and vetting process for the State Board of Education was intense and much more involved than I ever expected. I had the privilege of interviewing with Governor Herbert’s Education staff and then honored to have a personal interview with Governor Herbert, for whom I have great respect. I was interviewed by the Senate Education Committee in a Confirmation Hearing wherein I had the opportunity to address Senators questions and provide my perspective on the educational needs of the state. I was thrilled when the Committee voted unanimously to recommend my appointment to the full Senate for confirmation. I was grateful and honored to sit on the Senate Floor and unanimously confirmed to become the newest member of the Utah State Board of Education.
The day I was sworn in as a Board member, I made a promise to myself that I would do everything I could to help and support every current and future student throughout the state. That I would bring my passion, excitement, concern, energy, collaboration skills, and a listening ear to my role as a Board member, supporting my district and all of the K-12 students in Utah.
Results & Accomplishments
- Jordan District Bond Campaigns – Resulted in seven new schools
- Jordan Education Foundation – Leadership, built an Endowment of $1M+
- Dedicated Jordan District’s new Mountain Ridge High School, Nov, 2019
- Community Service award from D.A.R.E.
- USBE Law and Licensing Committee member
- Appointed to the State Charter Board as the USBE Liaison
- Integral member of parent committee that opened Navigator Pointe Academy Charter School
Educational & Community Leadership
- Appointed to the State Board of Education by Governor Herbert in August of 2019
- Utah Valley University, School of Education Advisory Board Member, 2020
- Utah State Charter Board, USBE Liaison 2020
- National Association of School Boards of Education (NASBE) Bylaws Committee, 2020
- South Jordan City Planning Commissioner, 2018 – 2019
- Jordan Education Foundation Board Member and Past President, Since 2010
- Junior Achievement of Utah, Board of Directors, Since 2016
- Uplift Families, Education Advisory Committee, Initiative of Mrs. Jeanette Herbert, Since 2015
- Resilient Utah, Advisory Board Member, Since 2018
- Friends of Jordan School District, Founder and Campaign Manager for two bonds, 2013 & 2016
- Bingham High School Lacrosse, Board Member 2018 – 2019
- Bingham High School “Grad Night” Committee Vice Chair, 2016 – 2019
- Utah Council for Crime Prevention “D.A.R.E.” – Board Member, Gala Chair 2014 – 2015
- Utah Mothers Association, “Mother of the Year” Selection Committee, 2017